Connecting to Public Servers

( ̄ε(# ̄)☆╰╮Every thing about the game.o( ̄皿 ̄///)
- Made by Feng, title edited by Accelevi

Connecting to Public Servers

Postby Xedma » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:27 pm

People as far as I know have had issues connecting to servers after joining a lobby. I think I've figured out how to get a complete connection once the host hits Start.

You need to type in the chat.

I've tested this a bit and that seems to be the major deciding factor on whether or not you can stay connected once the round starts.

edit: more testing has proven that my hypothesis is false. Chat has nothing to do with connection.
Last edited by Xedma on Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Xedma
 

 

Re: Connecting to Public Servers

Postby Foxen » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:31 pm

Hmm, I've never been able to join a public game up until now. I tried typing in chat before the game started, and it finally let me in. You may be onto something here...
Foxen
 

Re: Connecting to Public Servers

Postby Annie Leonhardt » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:33 pm

I had problems with connecting too, I will try this when I'll get to the computer. Beforr when I tried to join a public server only the last server worked. ):
Annie Leonhardt
 

Re: Connecting to Public Servers

Postby Azerad » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:09 pm

The reason that most public servers don't work is that anybody can host and attempt to join them. The problem with this is that people who have no idea how PortForwading works will try to make a server but not open any ports, so when random people try joining they have no real way of connecting to the server. Public Server do in fact work! They are laggy when you have a large amount of people and the obvious ping issue but other than that they are fine. There just needs to be a way to filter out servers that have portforwarding and not.
Azerad
 

Re: Connecting to Public Servers

Postby MysteriousPerson » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Azerad wrote:The reason that most public servers don't work is that anybody can host and attempt to join them. The problem with this is that people who have no idea how PortForwading works will try to make a server but not open any ports, so when random people try joining they have no real way of connecting to the server. Public Server do in fact work! They are laggy when you have a large amount of people and the obvious ping issue but other than that they are fine. There just needs to be a way to filter out servers that have portforwarding and not.

oh public server need portforwarding thing too ? i thought since it has its own master server, we dont really need to do that again :?
MysteriousPerson
 

Re: Connecting to Public Servers

Postby Khally » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:35 pm

MysteriousPerson wrote:oh public server need portforwarding thing too ? i thought since it has its own master server, we dont really need to do that again :?


If you're hosting a server of any type, you always need to forward your ports, as far as I know.
Khally
 

Re: Connecting to Public Servers

Postby Azerad » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:38 pm

MysteriousPerson wrote:
Azerad wrote:The reason that most public servers don't work is that anybody can host and attempt to join them. The problem with this is that people who have no idea how PortForwading works will try to make a server but not open any ports, so when random people try joining they have no real way of connecting to the server. Public Server do in fact work! They are laggy when you have a large amount of people and the obvious ping issue but other than that they are fine. There just needs to be a way to filter out servers that have portforwarding and not.

oh public server need portforwarding thing too ? i thought since it has its own master server, we dont really need to do that again :?


Yeah fengs intro video is sorta a false title if you wanna be technical. The video says master servers are available now but really master servers are servers hosted by either the software it self or the creators of the game (not really a big difference but there is) These public servers use the exact same coding as the regular private ones except now they are well... visible to the public.
Azerad
 

Re: Connecting to Public Servers

Postby Blizzard2795 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:43 pm

Khally wrote:
MysteriousPerson wrote:oh public server need portforwarding thing too ? i thought since it has its own master server, we dont really need to do that again :?


If you're hosting a server of any type, you always need to forward your ports, as far as I know.

Hamachi, Evolve, and all of those types of programs work as well, and it's the much more commonly used method. Obviously that doesn't exactly work for a public server though.
Blizzard2795
 

Re: Connecting to Public Servers

Postby Khally » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:57 pm

Yea of course. VPNs solve that problem, but we're talking about public servers :)
Khally
 

Re: Connecting to Public Servers

Postby 1jc19 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:38 am

so if I port-forward my router, I can run a public server?
1jc19
 

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests