Connecting to Public Servers

( ̄ε(# ̄)☆╰╮Every thing about the game.o( ̄皿 ̄///)
- Made by Feng, title edited by Accelevi

Re: Connecting to Public Servers

Postby Khally » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:38 pm

Accelevi wrote:Well damn, but I manage to connect to most servers.
And so the so-called "265000" is 2856 then?

At first, I thought it was. But, since it still doesn't work after port forwarding, I'm a bit confused by the whole thing.
Khally

Postby Xedma » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:48 pm

I use 420 as my port. Works fine for both private and public servers.
Xedma

Postby Solid Mike » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:02 am

Khally wrote:
Solid Mike wrote:My server connects 100% of the time...

If your server connects and you haven't forwarded any ports, you probably have a major vulnerability in your network.

Oh i forwarded, and yes, yes it is.
Solid Mike

Postby BK201 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:35 am

Sadly, I'm one of those players with a strict NAT. I can only play on about half (if not less) of the public servers that are up. So you probably won't see me around. Besides, I like using some pretty stupid names when playing. Like "HelloI'mNew", "iNoob", or "not" onto another player's name. Like "notpotatogirl" when someone else has chosen the name "potatogirl". The other two names are pretty funny because I'll usually be doing the best in the server.
BK201

Postby Khally » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:03 pm

BK201 wrote:Sadly, I'm one of those players with a strict NAT. I can only play on about half (if not less) of the public servers that are up. So you probably won't see me around. Besides, I like using some pretty stupid names when playing. Like "HelloI'mNew", "iNoob", or "not" onto another player's name. Like "notpotatogirl" when someone else has chosen the name "potatogirl". The other two names are pretty funny because I'll usually be doing the best in the server.

It doesn't matter if you can't do a punchthrough, that only matters for the host. Anyone can connect to any server, as long as the host set it up properly.
Solid Mike wrote:

Khally wrote:
Solid Mike wrote:My server connects 100% of the time...

If your server connects and you haven't forwarded any ports, you probably have a major vulnerability in your network.

Oh i forwarded, and yes, yes it is.

Then of course it does. Mine works 100% of times to, just like anyone else who forwarded his port correctly.
Khally

Postby BK201 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:22 pm

Khally wrote:It doesn't matter if you can't do a punchthrough, that only matters for the host. Anyone can connect to any server, as long as the host set it up properly.

I know that should be the case. But when I play on x-box live I see my strict NAT hurt me a lot more. I can not play with certain associates I know over a long distance because of my strict NAT.

Now, I only half remember when someone was giving me the NAT 101 speech. But if I remember correctly it goes like this. There are three types of NATs. An open NAT, a moderate NAT, and a strict NAT. Someone with an open NAT can play with anyone regardless of their NAT. Someone with a moderate NAT can play with open NAT players and other moderate NAT players. People with a strict NAT on the other hand can only connect with people who have an open NAT.

I don't know if this game is subject to this NAT rule. But even if this NAT type connection problems only applies to the host and you(where as you might have to deal with connecting to every player with other games), I'd still only be able to join the room if the host has an open NAT. I couldn't join moderate NAT rooms. If someone has a moderate NAT, it may not warn them that not every player can connect to their server, where as it gives you that warning if you have a strict NAT.
BK201

Postby Khally » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:44 pm

BK201 wrote:
Khally wrote:It doesn't matter if you can't do a punchthrough, that only matters for the host. Anyone can connect to any server, as long as the host set it up properly.

I know that should be the case. But when I play on x-box live I see my strict NAT hurt me a lot more. I can not play with certain associates I know over a long distance because of my strict NAT.

Now, I only half remember when someone was giving me the NAT 101 speech. But if I remember correctly it goes like this. There are three types of NATs. An open NAT, a moderate NAT, and a strict NAT. Someone with an open NAT can play with anyone regardless of their NAT. Someone with a moderate NAT can play with open NAT players and other moderate NAT players. People with a strict NAT on the other hand can only connect with people who have an open NAT.

I don't know if this game is subject to this NAT rule. But even if this NAT type connection problems only applies to the host and you(where as you might have to deal with connecting to every player with other games), I'd still only be able to join the room if the host has an open NAT. I couldn't join moderate NAT rooms. If someone has a moderate NAT, it may not warn them that not every player can connect to their server, where as it gives you that warning if you have a strict NAT.

That terminology is very vague and it's only used in CoD, as far as I know. And being moderate doesn't mean you can connect to all moderates, it means you can only connect to certain moderates, which is done via matchmaking with many, many thousands of people. In this game, it's totally unrealistic, so it really comes down to two possible states. Having that said, the factor which will determine whether you can or not join a certain game is the host, whether he forwarded his port or not :)
Khally

Postby BK201 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:03 pm

Khally wrote:That terminology is very vague and it's only used in CoD, as far as I know. And being moderate doesn't mean you can connect to all moderates, it means you can only connect to certain moderates, which is done via matchmaking with many, many thousands of people. In this game, it's totally unrealistic, so it really comes down to two possible states. Having that said, the factor which will determine whether you can or not join a certain game is the host, whether he forwarded his port or not :)

Well, the reason some moderate people can not connect to other moderate people is actually because of misreads. You or someone else could be told that you don't have a strict NAT, but you may for several weird reasons.
At least that is what Rockstar's help support said here about playing GTA V online.

I don't still know for sure. A few of games I own, have these NAT problems making it impossible for me to play with certain people when either of us are the host. Castlevania HD and Ace combat 6 are two non FPS games I can think of that I've played in the past that have NAT issues. I know NAT affects what matches and players I can and can't join on these games.
BK201

Previous

Return to General Discussion